Titles By Elaine Littau:

Nan's Heritage Series:


Book I, Nan's Journey

Book II, Elk's Resolve

Book III, Luke's Legacy

Book IV, The Eyes of a Stranger

Book V, Timothy's Home



From the next series - Rescued...A Series of Hope:



Book I, Some Happy Day

Book II, Capture the Wandering Heart

Book III, Walk Slowly Through the Dark



New Series- Nashville

Book I, Six Miles From Nashville

Book II, Christmas in Nashville (Coming soon)





go to http://elainelittau.com/ to order.







I have the first 3 chapters of "Some Happy Day" available to readers for free on my website, http://elainelittau.com/







Thursday, October 7, 2010

Janet Izzo

Mask

The mask in history was used to give the wearer a different persona. Some of them were used in war to frighten the enemy thus, giving an advantage. They were used in funerals to "mask" the face of the departed one, especially when the ravages of death took its toll.

The facial expression of the mask did not necessarily match the feelings of the wearer. In theatre, many times the ridiculous smile on the mask was contrary to what the character portrayed in the act.

Let's get down to the truth. Today, people wear masks all the time. They are not physical ones made of plastic or paper mache', but they are walls that are built around our real self to keep everyone at arm's length.

How many times do people "put on a stiff upper-lip"? How many times to we "smile through the pain" or "shake it off"? When was the last time you "put on your best face"?

Many people have worn their masks so long that their friends and family believe the persona is who they really are, until the mask starts cracking. Any mask is not designed to be used 24/7. It is for a short specific use. For example: Hockey players, catchers, actors on stage, and the various trick-or-treaters only wear the mask for a specific time period.

What do we do when the mask that we have hidden behind starts to peel off? Some of us, put another one over the original one. We dare not let anyone see the pain we have been hiding. Eventually, the mask(s) fall to the ground. There is no place to hide. Our bare face is revealed to our world.

How do we get to this place? Why can we not continue the masquerade? We were not created to carry all of the baggage in our lives alone. No one can make it through this life alone. Sometimes, our masks are ripped off because of illness, whether it be our own or someone we love.

The friends and family who are used to your persona will have to learn to know the real you. It will be a journey worth the task. Your pain and anger will be something everyone will learn to look at and deal with. They may feel betrayed because of the front that your put on so long.

The Lord Jesus Christ will walk with you through this. He has known you all along. Your mask(s)were never enough to hide the real you from Him. He wants you to know Him, too. Let Him help you become "real" all the time. You are worth it.

Now meet my friend, Janet Izzo.

1. What is your name and the title of your book(s)?
Janet Izzo, RN, author of "Hotel Hennepin" This book chronicles my career working as a staff and "charge" nurse in a busy county hospital on an obstetrics unit. The stories are poignant, sad, and hysterically funny but all are amazingly true!

2. What is one thing you think your readers would like to know about you?
I returned to college for my nursing degree with a husband and three children at home. From the time I was a little girl, I knew I would be a nurse one day. I just didn't think my "one day" would arrive in my thirties!

3. When did you know that you wanted to become a writer?
I wrote a column in college entitled "Over the Hill" which targeted those of us who were over thirty and still working on our degrees. I have always loved to write and from the first moment I stepped into "Hotel Hennepin"(better known as Hennepin County Medical Center... in the heart of Minneapolis) I knew I would be writing a book about it!

4. What are your strong points in your writing style or methods?
I think I write exactly as I speak. People who know me say that when they read one of my stories, it's as if I were standing in right in front of them. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. It may be kind of creepy!

5. Are you a reader?
When I have time.

6. What are you reading right now?
Steven Covey's best seller...7 habits...

7. Do you have another book that you are working on and hasn't been submitted for publication? Tell about it. Every Friday I take my seven year old granddaughter to her piano lesson. One Friday she asked if we could go to the library to get a book about a little girl who played the piano. Well, there aren't any. I have searched everywhere. So of course, being the gramimi who wants to please everyone, I wrote it myself. It is entitled "The Piano Lesson." I have not submitted it yet. I may self publish this time.
I am also working on a study guide/workbook for nursing students to use with "Hotel Hennepin."

8. What are your biggest obstacles to writing and how do you overcome them? Worrying about the marketing...believe it or not. I speak to nursing students across the nation and while I love to do it, 90% of my life is marketing and only 10% is writing, selling books, speaking and preparing to speak. Lets face it...I'm a nurse first. This has been a huge obstacle and challenge to learn the marketing business! Reading marketing books and online tutorials have been very helpful.

9. Please put a description of each of your books here. (back matter is ok)
Hotel Hennepin chronicles the true stories of a nursing career in a large county hospital. From the time she was young, Janet Izzo knew she would become a nurse one day. As a young candystriper, the sight of vomit made her vomit. She outgrew that little problem just as her mother said she would! After having her own three children, the time had come for her to return to college. She attended classes with students nearly half her age, but she succeeded and even excelled despite the fact many doubted she could do it!.
Janet now travels and speaks to nursing students across the nation on the topic, "Nurses Can Make the Difference"...which she believes with her whole heart!

10. How can readers contact you or purchase your books? Please put your website or blog here

My email is janetizzo@usfamily.net and my website is www.janetizzo.com I also do a Monday morning "blog" entitled, "the Health Nut News" which is a funny little blurb about health...sometimes helpful and sometimes just "nutty." Send me your email address if you wish to be included on the Health Nut News. "Hotel Hennepin" can be purchased at any book store or from my website.

No comments: