Titles By Elaine Littau:

Nan's Heritage Series:


Book I, Nan's Journey

Book II, Elk's Resolve

Book III, Luke's Legacy

Book IV, The Eyes of a Stranger

Book V, Timothy's Home



From the next series - Rescued...A Series of Hope:



Book I, Some Happy Day

Book II, Capture the Wandering Heart

Book III, Walk Slowly Through the Dark



New Series- Nashville

Book I, Six Miles From Nashville

Book II, Christmas in Nashville (Coming soon)





go to http://elainelittau.com/ to order.







I have the first 3 chapters of "Some Happy Day" available to readers for free on my website, http://elainelittau.com/







Thursday, February 23, 2012

Interview with McKendree R Long III

I want to introduce you to another author that writes about the Panhandle of Texas!!!



1. I need you to tell me your name as seen on your books, your genre, and your title(s), and your website address.


I'm McKendree R. Long III, AKA Mike. Genre of the 1st book is Civil War/Western, and its title is "No Good Like It Is". The sequel was released Late December entitled, "Dog Soldier Moon". My website is www.mckendreelong.com

2. How long have you been an author and when did the desire to write (the writing bug) bite?
I finished the 1st book two years ago, and completed the sequel in August 2011. I took a Creative Writing course in 1978; as part of that, I wrote the 1st two chapters of fiction about my first tour in Vietnam. Got and A+ in the course, so I sent the piece to a friend I respected. He called it 'pedestrian', so I pouted for 30 years.

3. Why did you choose the genre you write in? Are there plans to write in another genre?
This all started as a nonfiction work on the rapid development of firearms technology in the Western Era (1850-1890), when we went from muzzle-loading flintlocks to smokeless powder and machine guns in just forty years. In my research I discovered the Eighth Texas Cavalry, got excited about their accomplishments, and decided to put a couple of fictional characters into that regiment to tell their story. The story took a life of its own, and the Eighth Texas and their guns quickly became secondary to the trials of my two protagonists. I've started on the third piece of the trilogy; I suppose when I finish that, I may go back and finish that Vietnam War story.


4. Please tell about each title here:


In "No Good Like It Is", the protagonists (West Pointer Dobey Walls and veteran non-com Jimmy Melton) meet and bond before the Civil War, barely survive the war, they try to speed 'home' to Texas at the war's end to rescue Dobey's long missing family.


They wind up dragging a small army of strays and misfits to the Panhandle with them. Run-ins with lonely widows, Union deserters, destitute farmers, and Confederate Cherokees slow them down. Southern Cheyenne and renegade lawmen add to the chaos.


In the sequel, our heroes establish a small community in the Texas Panhandle which thrives until a horrible crime decimates it. Dobey and jimmy are then driven to try to find and punish the perpetrators, but aren't completely successful.


Meanwhile, the nearby friendly Cheyenne village of Chief Black Kettle is attacked and destroyed by the U.S. Seventh Cavalry under Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer; the destruction and aftermath are viewed through the eyes of the defeated Cheyenne.



5. Do you do speaking engagements? Tell about your subject matter.
I frequently speak to civic clubs (Rotary, Sertoma, Optimists, etc.) and to Civil War Round Tables. Typically spend half my time on the self-publishing process and the other half on my book. In these engagements I usually put out four or five original Civil War firearms for 'Show and Tell'.


6. What has been your most rewarding experience as an author?
Passing 1000 in sales, and being featured in Five Star Books website (5starsbooks.com) as one of twelve Western with lots of 5-star reviews.


7. Where can your books be purchased?

In addition to Amazon, Kindle, and most Hastings Bookstores, it can be ordered through Barnes and Noble, Books a Million, and my website.


7. How can readers reach you through twitter? through facebook? through your blog?

I'm @ McKendree Long on twitter, Mike Long on FB, and my website is www.mckendreelong.com


8. What was your biggest surprise at being an author?
My biggest surprise was that the book appealed to women and twelve year old boys. I thought of it as a 'guy' book; there's a lot of profanity, but I didn't find it necessary to use the 'f' bomb, and I do have a hooker trying to clean up the men's language. There sex, but it's understated. Anyhow, I got this email from a young boy whose Mom bought it for him. He said it was 'not as rough as the talk' on his school bus, and he thought it should be required reading for 6th grade US History classes. Wow.


9. We all know that writing can be a lonely occupation, what do your family and friends do to lift you up when you are down?
I'm just hardly ever 'down'. My wife listens to my drafts and provides first critiques. And I listen to her. We've been together since 1960, and only two things stop me from talking back to her: fear and common sense.


10. What is your favorite toy as a child?

A scaled-down replica of an 1861 Colt Navy revolver when I was six, and an American Flyer bike when I was twelve, so I could ride out and collect arrowheads/Indian artifacts; i ended up with over 1800 items.



If you found this interview interesting, please contact the author or comment on my website.


http://elainelittau.com

No comments: